Saturday, March 28, 2009

9th entry - Moving On

Come April 1st, I will be starting a new job. In the last 8 years, I moved 5 times to 6 different departments within the same parent organization. Fortunately, all the movements were voluntary and initiated by me, i.e. it wasn't as if my bosses wanted to get rid of me. To many people this could be considered fast.

My longest posting was just over 2 years, and it was my first posting and my first job after graduating. I witnessed several major changes there: shifting of office, which was a grand, historic affair and a logistical nightmare; 4 different bosses who came and left (boss no. one resigned 6 months after I joined, boss no. two posted out 6 months later, boss no. three took over as an interim measure for 3 months, and boss no. four joined the section for 8 months until I posted out); and 4 different co-workers in the same section who also came and left (2 of them posted out 6 months after I joined, and their replacements left just before I did).

The subsequent postings were all relatively short, but gave me greater exposure and more learning opportunities, including the chance to go for study trips overseas. My shortest posting was my last one - only 11 months and 14 days. It was tough coping with the changes and I have become quite tired of moving from one job to another. Adjusting to changes in the job, colleagues, bosses and working environment can be quite difficult as one ages. Right now I just want to find something I enjoy doing and stick with it, perhaps for at least 3 years or more.

Is it good or bad to keep moving on to different jobs?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home