Saturday, February 07, 2009

4th entry - Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

I watched Studio Ghibli's latest movie, 崖の上のポニョ, Gake no Ue no Ponyo (Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea) with eager anticipation recently. Having seen the TV trailer and heard the cute theme song, I had high expectations of the movie.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed after watching it. There was the usual elements of a Goro Miyazaki movie that distinguishes it from many Japanese anime - fantasy, childlike innocence, lively movement (动感) and beautiful illustration and color. However, I had felt that the plot was a little too simple and meaningless. I found it unbelievable that Japanese and Hong Kongers could rave about this movie.



Just when I was going to write off the movie in my mind and on my Blog, I chanced upon some information while surfing the Internet that changed my perspective about Ponyo. The first piece of information was from Wikipedia:

Ponyo was an entrant in the 65th Venice Future Film Festival
(Telegraph). It received a special mention, for "the high artistic and expressive quality of animation able to give form to wonderful imagination of the worldwide cinema master".

WHAT?! I asked myself. Am I missing something here?? Still unconvinced but my confidence faltering, I decided to check out why Studio Ghibli made this movie. That was when I found this article:
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER & FORMER PRESIDENT OF STUDIO GHIBLI SUZUKI TOSHIO REVEALS THE STORY BEHIND PONYO

It turns out that unlike the elaborate CG animations we have been pampered with in this Hi-Tech age, Ponyo's animation was drawn entirely "by hand". The movie is also intended for kids, rather than for adults - hence its simple plot. Miyazaki personally drew the sea waves, which had come alive in the movie - both due to the plot (magic was used to control the waves) as well as skillful animation. This was critical as the Sea was the central theme of the movie.



What I liked most about the movie was the theme song. Besides being cute and childlike, it was terribly catchy and moving. It sounds like Doraemon's theme song, which is uplifting and lively (活波). I kept replaying the song again and again on my computer but I just can't seem to get it out of my head! The theme song was even spoofed by some Cantonese jokers who combined it with Jackie Chan's advertisement for a hair-growth tonic, which was totally hilarious...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home