Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Back in Time

The story continues with my search for meaning in life... please try not to yawn.

I think I have been searching all this while for something, or to do something, which would make me feel that my life is meaningful. Why? Doing so will make me happy. Or so I thought.

If life is about the search for meaning, then perhaps mine was about the search for happiness. To me, life is meaningless if I can't be happy while being alive. What's the point of living if I am unhappy? The question is: what makes me happy?

I think that its important to be happy about your work. It seems that not many people in this world are. They are usually in a job for the money, to earn a living to support themselves and their family. As for me, if I am unhappy with my work, I cant dedicate 101 percent of my effort into the job. And if I do not commit myself fully into the work, I will not be happy.

Recently, I realised that I am unhappy with my career. Honestly, I have never been 100 percent happy with my job. Maybe its all about give and take - you can't have your cake and eat it. People tell me that there is no such thing as being "100 percent happy" with your job because every job has its ups and downs.

If I cannot have 100 percent happiness, then I would like to seek greater happiness. That's why I have applied for new jobs. My most recent application was for a teaching post in the civil service. My parents were against it but S was all for it.

I went for the interview a few days after my NS training started. I didn't have high hopes of succeeding but I think I have a fair chance of being selected for the training. Among the documents they required was my university scroll, which I had brought to the army camp to be faxed to the teacher recruitment officers. Somehow I had forgotten to bring it home, and when I found it missing from the table where I had left it the previous day, I nearly died.

Frankly, I never realised that the scroll was of any importance to me until I thought I was never going to see it again. My mum commented over the weekend as I was packing the scroll into my bag that I should keep it safely because I worked hard for almost 4 years to get that piece of paper. However, in high-tech Singapore, I never needed to use the certificate to prove my qualifications. My current employer never asked me to produce the certificate when I applied for the job.

At the point when the guys told me that none of them recalled seeing the folder containing my scroll, my heart sank. As the saying goes, its only when you lose something that you begin to miss it. Perhaps many of us have the tendency to take things for granted and do not cherish what we have until we don't see it again.

Fortunately, I managed to find the scroll in the breadbin of one of the office cubicles. Let's hope my search for the "ideal" job will also result in a happy ending as well. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home